In this section you will be able to find the following information:

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit
  • Help with the rent
  • Child Benefit
  • Income Support

Depending on your residency status (EU citizen or not) there are various benefits available to help you with costs of living. A8 nationals need to have been working for a year and be registered with the Workers Registration scheme for the some of the following to apply:

Working Tax Credit is a payment to top up earnings of people working on low incomes including those that do not have children. Extra amounts are payable if you have a disability, if you work 30 hours or more a week, and where you have childcare costs. Working Tax Credit is paid directly into a nominated bank account. For more information visit TaxCreditsandChildBenefit/TaxCredits or telephone 0845 300 3900

Tax credits - do you qualify? To find out click on the link below: 

Child Tax Credit is available to people responsible for a child or young person, who have income below a certain amount. All households with an annual income of £50,000 or less will qualify for some Child Tax Credit. The amount you get will depend on how many children you have, and whether they have any disabilities. Child Tax Credit is available whether or not you are in work and is paid to the main carer in a household, usually straight into a nominated bank account. For more information visit MoneyTaxAndBenefits/TaxCreditsandChildBenefit/TaxCredits

or telephone 0845 300 3900


Tax credits are usually paid for a year, from April to April, but the amount you get may change if your circumstances change during that year, for example, you have another child. If you are a member of a couple who live together, you must make a joint claim. You claim both tax credits on the same form. Claims can only be backdated three months, so you should claim as soon as you can.


If you lose your job or you are looking for employment Jobseeker’s Allowance may apply to you depending on the amount of your personal contributions towards National Insurance and your residency status. To find out if you are eligible visit MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/ Employedorlookingforwork

Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit are benefits for people on a low income to help them pay council tax and rent. These benefits are paid by your local authority. If you are entitled to council tax benefit, your council tax bill is reduced. Full-time students are not entitled. Benefit is dependent on residency status for A8 nationals

Help with the rent If you are on a low income and find it difficult to pay the rent, you may apply for a housing benefit. On the basis of the information about your income and savings, the housing benefit will be worked out together with the amount that you will receive. To find out if you are eligible visit application forms are available from your local district council offices.

Income Support is a benefit paid to people who do not have enough money to live on. Any money you have is taken into account in deciding how much Income Support you should get. Income Support is a noncontributory benefit. This means that it does not depend on national insurance contributions. You can get Income Support even if you have never paid national insurance, but you will need a national insurance number to make a claim. It is aimed at people between 18-60 years old. You must be living in the UK to claim Income Support. If you are from overseas or have recently come to live in the UK you may have difficulty claiming Income Support, depending on your immigration status.

If you are 60 or over and on a low income you may be eligible for pension credit. The pension credit guarantees everyone aged 60 and over an income of at least £114.05 a week if you are single and £174.05 a week if you have a partner. To apply for pension credit call 0800 991 234.

Child Benefit is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child. How much Child Benefit will you get? There are two separate amounts, with a higher amount for your eldest (or only) child. In 2008-09, you will get £18.80 a week for your oldest child and £12.55 a week for each of your other children.

How do I claim?

Claim as soon as your child is born or comes to live with you. If you delay, you may lose benefit. You can get a claim pack by contacting the Child Benefit Office If you live in Great Britain - Telephone: 0845 302 1444 If you live abroad - Telephone: 0044 191 2251000

Claim Child Benefit Online You can now claim Child Benefit online using our easy step-by-step form and send it to us electronically. Just go to the Child Benefit Online menu:, choose ‘I want to start a blank claim form’ and answer the first page of questions. Depending on your answers, you will then only be taken to the parts of the form that apply to you. You do not have to complete the form in one go. If you are part of the way through the form and you want to finish it at a later time, simply note down your transaction number. When you return to the form, you will need to input this transaction number and your surname to retrieve your details. You can also report changes online. Just go to the Child Benefit Online menu and choose ‘I want to fill in a new Change of Circumstances form’. 

There is also the possibility of TRANSFERRING BENEFITS you received in another country. In order to do that you need to obtain certificate E301 or E303

If you are sick or disabled, there are a number of different benefits and tax credits you may be able to claim.  If you have care needs or problems with getting around, you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance If you are unable to work, you may be able to claim Statutory Sick Pay, Incapacity Benefit or Income Support.

For more information please go on the website below:

Note: specifically for migrant workers To claim the Child Tax Credit (CTC) and Working Tax Credit (WTC), the starting point is that a person must be aged 16 or over and live in the UK (section 3(3) of the Tax Credits Act 2002). Short absences abroad for holidays or on business will not affect eligibility. Some people may be eligible even if they do not live in the UK. To claim Child Benefit, the general rule is that the claimant and the child (see pages 10 and 11 below) must be in Great Britain (section 146 (1) and (2) of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992, as inserted by section 56 (1) of the Tax Credits Act 2002) or in Northern Ireland (section 142 (1) and (2) of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits (Northern Ireland) Act 1992, as inserted by section 56 (2) of the Tax Credits Act 2002). As with tax credits, short absences abroad will not affect eligibility and some people may be eligible even if they do not live in the UK.Important exception: Some people who are living in the UK do not qualify for tax credits and Child Benefit because they are subject to immigration control. A person is subject to immigration control if they require leave to enter or remain in the UK and do not have it or their leave to enter or remain in the UK is subject to the condition that they must not have recourse to public funds.

In most cases, such persons will not be able to claim tax credits or Child Benefit as they count as public funds. However, there are exceptions to this. If a person receives tax credits or Child Benefit under one of these exceptions, it will not count as recourse to public funds.Who has the right to reside in the UK?

The following groups have a right to reside in the UK when claiming CTC and Child Benefit and, depending on the full facts of their case, should be entitled to such support:

  • all UK nationals and those who have a right to reside in the Common Travel Area (which covers the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), by virtue of the Immigration Act 1971;
  • all EEA workers legally working in the UK – there are special rules for A8 nationals (see Annex);
  • all work-seekers from the pre-1 May 2004 EEA Member States, Cyprus and Malta who have a reasonable chance of finding work; and
  • third country nationals with indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

The following groups only have a right to reside in the UK when claiming CTC and Child Benefit if they have sufficient resources not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the UK:

  • all A8 nationals who are looking for work, including an A8 worker who loses his or her job before having worked in the UK lawfully and uninterruptedly for 12 months and is without another job for a period of more than 30 days; and
  • all EEA (including A8) nationals who are economically inactive.

In these cases, all the claimant’s personal circumstances are taken into account when deciding whether he or she is self-sufficient. Such factors could include whether or not that person had claimed social assistance from the Department for Work & Pensions in Great Britain or the Department for Social Development in Northern Ireland (i.e. Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and State Pension Credit). 

Latest News

Health and Safety documents and resources for migrant workers with ESOL needs

Health and Safety documents and resources for migrant workers with ESOL needs
Health and Sa ..........

ESOL and English language classes

 Free English language classes are taking place across the South Holland district.  For ..........


logo About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2006 South Holland District Council